Friday, July 12, 2013

Hanging With the Texas Qs

Okay, I realize that I haven't updated daily as I hoped I would, so I decided to combine all of my posts from this week down here in and around Austin into one big mega-post. Here's how the week went:

Tuesday, July 9

Bats, Donuts, and the Capitol

There's nothing quite like going to a bridge in downtown Austin at sunset to see around three million bats swarm into the sky. What made it even better was that I was there with Rachel and Andy, and we all thought that it was pretty awesome.

Afterward, we went to try out a local trailer park-themed "gourmet donut" restaurant for dessert. After getting the extremely rich "Black Out" donut, made with brownie batter, fudge icing, and chocolate covered brownie bites, I felt somewhat ill from chocolate overdose...

We closed out our day with a quick drive past the Capitol building on the way back home.











Wednesday, July 10

Bowling With the Q's

On Wednesday, we decided to  go bowling while it was just the cousins and I (and Aunt Leslie of course). It was Scarlett's first time ever bowling, and she actually handled the turn-taking pretty well -- up until the end when she got impatient and wanted to keep the shoes as we left. As you can see, she needed a bit of help with the actual bowling part...













Thursday, July 11

Six Flags Fiesta Texas

During her time as a first-grader, Rachel had won a free ticket to Six Flags over the summer. We decided to take advantage of this prize (and my season pass) to spend an awesome day with just me, Rachel, Andy, and my Uncle David. Between burgers, the Scooby Doo ride, swing rides, and slushies, I believe it was a day well spent.























Back Home

On the way back to Austin from Six Flags, we passed through a small town just outside of San Antonio called Schertz. It's hard to believe that nine years have passed since I sat in the back seat of our van and watched as we drove away from 241 Victoria Point for what seemed to me to be the last time. Now I can't help but look back at that house with fond memories and hope that whoever lives there now is having just as great a time in that house on the corner as I did.





























Friday, July 12

Tie Dying With the Qs

Nothing quite says 'Summer' like sitting out on  a hot driveway, having fun with white t-shirts and multicolored dyes. Naturally, we had to embrace the summer tradition, and broke out white shirts and canvas bags, and went crazy with the colors. I for the most part, was in charge of collecting and handing out colors as they were needed (or not). The perfect way to spend my last full day with my cousins here in Texas -- for a while at least...

2 comments:

  1. I’m so glad you enjoyed your week with the Texas Qs! (1) That “Black Out” donut looks AWESOME!!!! (2) I looked at the wrong photo to see the state capitol building...I looked right at the silver bullet trailer and was confused. LOL!! (3) You look like you were a great help for Scarlett at the bowling alley--that’s what older cousins are for! (4) So have you officially switched to calling my brother “Uncle David” instead of “Uncle Bubba?” I remember when you were 2 years old and given those two options, and you ADAMENTLY proclaimed that he’s “Bubba!” (5) Our old house does look different. The bushes out front are way overgrown, and a branch is missing from the tree that overhangs the driveway. Lots of memories from our nearly six years living there. (6) Looks like you were a great help with the tie-dye project. (7) Where’s the update about visiting Texas A&M and eating at the Dixie Chicken? The campus visit was the #1 reason you went to Texas (with visiting the Texas Qs a VERY close #2). Are you saving that for a separate post? ;-) I hope everyone has as fond of memories of your visit as it seems you made during this trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the post. Glad to see you're having a good time in Austin. I know your cousins are thrilled to see you.

    ReplyDelete